Thursday, August 26, 2010

Happy Birthday (no Cricut)


I have had a few request to make some cards without using the Cricut machine, since not everyone has one..(oh how can that be?) I actually started with a 12" x 12" sheet of cardstock for inspiration.
I had two (2) sheets of this paper. It's from DCWV The Sweet Stack. I thought I would keep one sheet for use in a layout (sometime) and I had used the top green portion of the other sheet for some cards. Therefore, I was left with the strip with the scallop and blue stripe on it (the smaller piece in the picture). It measures 3" x 5 1/2"



The first thing I do is make my base (as I usually do) with cutting a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" piece of cardstock in half  (8 1/2" x 5 1/2") and then folding one sheet in half. It leaves you with a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card. Next, I found some coordinating patterned paper that complimented the scalloped strip of paper. I cut that to the exact dimensions of the front of the card (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") and glued it on. I then cut a strip of white cardstock 5 1/2" and approximately 1 1/2". Then using my EK Success Border Punch Dotted Scallop, I punched the one long side. It might be easier to start with a longer strip of white cardstock and then cut to size, in this way you can try to balance the scallops. I then aligned the scallop where I wanted it to show under the green section and glued it down. Next, I tied a 1/4" piece of ribbon around the middle of the blue line and tied a bow. Glue this to the patterned paper, leaving about the same amount of paper showing on the top and the bottom. I then glued four (4) rhinestones to the patterned scallops and let dry. The "Happy Birthday" sentiment, with a shadow effect, I printed out on my computer. I cut it 4 1/2" x 1" and then using 3D-Dots applied it to the card. This is again one of those cards that you could change up the sentiment and it would still work well.


I finished the inside of the card with a piece of the coordinating paper that I punched with the Dotted Scallop Border Punch and glued to the edge. Your challenge is now to look at your patterned paper/cardstock and see if you can find a part of it that would work with this type of card.

I'm not sure if you feel like this also, but sometimes I have so many ideas in my head and don't ever feel like I have enough time to try and create it all. Right now, I'm thinking about Halloween, Christmas, projects and trying carts that I haven't had a chance to use yet (just to name a few). I would love to hear some of your ideas or what you are working on. Get inspired and imagine what you could do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails